In today’s cashless society, ATMs are still a vital part of everyday life. However, ATM fees can add up quickly, especially if you’re not careful about where you withdraw your cash. Fortunately, there are several apps and online resources that can help you find surcharge-free ATMs on the go.
- Allpoint: Allpoint is a network of over 55,000 surcharge-free ATMs across the United States. The Allpoint app allows you to find nearby ATMs and filter your results by location, type of ATM (e.g., drive-thru), and features (e.g., deposit taking).
- CO-OP Shared Branch: CO-OP Shared Branch is a network of over 5,000 credit unions that allow members to withdraw cash surcharge-free at any participating institution. The CO-OP Shared Branch app allows you to find nearby credit unions and filter your results by location, type of institution (e.g., full-service branch, limited-service branch), and services offered (e.g., financial planning, investment services).
- Bank of America ATM Locator: If you’re a Bank of America customer, you can use the Bank of America app to find surcharge-free ATMs near you. The app will also show you the fees that you would be charged if you used an ATM outside of the Bank of America network.
- Chase ATM Locator: If you’re a Chase customer, you can use the Chase app to find surcharge-free ATMs near you. The app will also show you the fees that you would be charged if you used an ATM outside of the Chase network.
- Bank website or app: Most banks have an ATM locator on their website or app that you can use to find surcharge-free ATMs.
- Visa ATM Locator: Visa has an ATM locator that you can use to find Plus Alliance ATMs, which are ATMs that do not charge surcharge fees to Visa cardholders.
- Mastercard ATM Locator: Mastercard has an ATM locator that you can use to find Maestro ATMs, which are ATMs that do not charge surcharge fees to Mastercard cardholders.
Tips for Avoiding ATM Fees
- Use your bank’s ATMs: Most banks do not charge surcharge fees to their customers. So, if you can, use an ATM that is owned by your bank.
- Use a surcharge-free ATM network: There are a number of surcharge-free ATM networks, such as Allpoint and CO-OP Shared Branch. Using an ATM in one of these networks will ensure that you do not have to pay a surcharge fee.
- Get a checking account that reimburses ATM fees: Some checking accounts reimburse ATM fees. If you do a lot of ATM transactions, it may be worth considering getting one of these accounts.
- Plan ahead: Before you leave home, take a few minutes to find surcharge-free ATMs in the area where you will be. This will save you time and money in the long run.